Monday, October 1, 2012

So this one student...

Today was the day I let the hammer fall. Well, that is what it felt like. I gave a student detention today (gasp). It was my first time. I received feedback that my classroom management need some strength. I felt I was channelling the firmness of Shawshank Redemption and the justice of The Merchant of Venice. That is what it felt like at least.

I breathed deep and stated the punishment. And it felt odd, pronouncing judgement. Dealing out these statements that will forever change their....lunch period. Perhaps their life, but we will see. Class moved on, the student came in at lunch, and it was all a matter of course.

The student took it as a matter of course. There was no downcast eyes. There was no grumbling. Class policy states a student gets a warning then next offense, slap down. Detention (a.k.a. after eating at lunch, cleaning a few desks).

Rarely did I receive punishment as a student, most likely due to my obsequious attitude. The students that I punish are regularly punished I imagine. This punishment would have shocked me as a student, however, I wonder if this is what has characterized this particular student's school career?

No comments:

Post a Comment